Home > Columns & Blogs > Anonymous Distributor

Anonymous Distributor

Another year is about over. How did your year go? Our business was slightly down compared to last year and, because of the late start in most of the country, unfortunately we were not alone. As we approach the end of another year, I’d like to take time to reflect on some of the things that happened during 2018 that might have affected your business. The big news may have been that Sears filed for bankruptcy in October. It’s hard to believe that the company that produced the best Christmas catalog, complete with everything you wanted from Santa, filed for bankruptcy in 2018.

Another big announcement this year was MTD selling 20 percent of its company to Stanley, Black & Decker with the possibility to sell the remaining 80 percent a few years from now.

And finally, to complete the trifecta, Poulan Weed Eater elected to not sell low-margin equipment.

Add the tariffs, the tax breaks, and the rising cost of materials, and you have an extremely different year.

With the kind of year we had in 2018, what do you think will happen in 2019? If we were to go to sleep dreaming of sugarplums and dancing fairies, what will we wake up to next year? Only time will tell, but if I know the lawn and garden market like I think I do, we will all be fine.

It’s my second Christmas season since becoming A.D. and, like I said, it’s always a great time to reflect on how our mutual year has gone, the relationships we have made, and the stress of the holidays. Too often we get caught up in the day to day that we forget what the season is about. So with that in mind, here’s one for the ages. It is “The 12 Days of Christmas for The Lawn And Garden Dealer”.

On the first day of Christmas my customer gave to me, a dirty carburetor. On the second day of Christmas my customer gave to me, two broken mowers, and a dirty carburetor. On the third day of Christmas my customer gave to me, three busted chains, two broken mowers, and a dirty carburetor. On the fourth day of Christmas my customer gave to me, four snowblowers leaking, three busted chains, two broken mowers, and a dirty carburetor. On the fifth day of Christmas my customer gave to me, five stinky fuel tanks!… four snowblowers leaking, three busted chains, two broken mowers, and a dirty carburetor. On the sixth day of Christmas my customer gave to me, six worn-out backpacks, five stinky fuel tanks!… four snowblowers leaking, three busted chains, two broken mowers, and a dirty carburetor. On the seventh day of Christmas my customer gave to me, seven diesel engines, six worn-out backpacks, five stinky fuel tanks!…four snowblowers leaking, three busted chains, two broken mowers, and a dirty carburetor. On the eighth day of Christmas my customer gave to me, eight zero turns, seven diesel engines, six-worn out backpacks, five stinky fuel tanks!… four snowblowers leaking, three busted chains, two broken mowers, and a dirty carburetor. On the ninth day of Christmas my customer gave to me, nine minutes complaining, eight zero turns, seven diesel engines, six worn-out backpacks, five stinky fuel tanks!… four snowblowers leaking, three busted chains, two broken mowers, and a dirty carburetor. On the tenth day of Christmas my customer gave to me, 10 dollars shorted, nine minutes complaining, eight zero turns, seven diesel engines, six worn-out backpacks, five stinky fuel tanks!… four snowblowers leaking, three busted chains, two broken mowers, and a dirty carburetor. On the eleventh day of Christmas my customer gave to me, 11 new words swearing, 10 dollars shorted, nine minutes complaining, eight zero turns, seven diesel engines, six worn-out backpacks, five stinky fuel tanks!… four snowblowers leaking, three busted chains, two broken mowers, and a dirty carburetor. On the twelfth day of Christmas my customer gave to me, 12 reasons they’re not paying, 11 new words swearing, 10 dollars shorted, nine minutes complaining, eight zero turns, seven diesel engines, six worn-out backpacks, five stinky fuel tanks!… four snowblowers leaking, three busted chains, two broken mowers, and a dirty carburetor!

I hope you enjoyed that little rendition of a treasured Christmas song. Remember to reflect on many things during this holiday season. Business can wait. Enjoy your family. And remember to thank your customers. Until next year, A.D. brings you tidings of good joy, safety and many thanks. Your notes throughout the year prove that you are reading, and also bring great joy to me hearing from you.

You can contact me by e-mailing me at OPEMAGAD@gmail.com. I do reply to every note. You can tweet me @OPEMAGAD but have no clue what to do when it arrives.

About jkmitta