The EXi engine, from Briggs & Stratton, is the industry’s first mower engine that does not require an oil change. The durable and reliable EXi will become standard across all OEM partners and mower lines, phasing out the current Quantum engine over the next couple of years. EXi, featuring “Just Check ‘n’ Add,” is made in the USA of U.S. and global parts at Briggs & Stratton’s Poplar Bluff, Mo., plant.
Briggs & Stratton developed this engine because company research shows that, from starting to use to maintenance, consumers want easy. EXi is the next-generation Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine made for consumers who want easy and expect durability and reliability.
The engine experts at Briggs & Stratton made significant design changes to the engine in order to provide consumers with a durable, easy-maintenance engine, including the following:
* An optimized combustion chamber for easier starting, more power, lower emissions and improved fuel economy
* The addition of a radial seal paper air cleaner to keep debris out of the engine, helping to extend the life of the engine
* A larger fuel neck that is 2 times the area and angled toward the operator, which makes adding fuel easier and less messy
* The use of lighter parts, making it the lightest engine in its class for easier maneuverability
* The addition of the Just Check ‘n’ Add feature means consumers never have to change their oil; they simply need to regularly check their oil level, and add when necessary.
According to Briggs & Stratton, there are 2 major reasons that consumers need to change their oil:
1) Debris has gotten into the oil, causing it to get dirty.
2) Through regular running of the engine, the oil heats up, causing it to breakdown and create sludge.
The Briggs & Stratton EXi engine uses an automotive-style paper air cleaner element that features a press-fit element design to keep dirt out of the engine. An improved oil fill tube with extended flange protects the tube from debris during routine oil checks. Also, the overhead valve design and the precision-controlled manufacturing processes of the EXi engine, as well as its innovative scroll design and cooling package, mean the engine runs cooler with less oil consumption, reducing the oil temperature. And cooler oil means slower decay and breakdown of the oil.
To learn more about the Briggs & Stratton EXi engine, visit www.briggsandstratton.com.