Small Business Saturday (November 25) serves as the unofficial start of the holiday shopping season for small businesses across the country. Independent We Stand is proud to support Small Business Saturday and recognizes the importance of rallying behind independent businesses, the jobs they help create, and the unique culture they instill in communities. Each year, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, consumers make a positive impact on their communities by shopping small in their neighborhoods and the numbers show it:
- In 2016, an estimated 112 million consumers reported shopping at small businesses on Small Business Saturday, marking a 13-percent increase from 2015, according to the National Federation of Independent Business.
- This year, the National Retail Federation forecasts a 3.6- to 4-percent increase in holiday retail sales.
Consumers now have a convenient way to make shopping small even easier. The Independent We Stand Buy Local app turns mobile devices into small business store finders. The app is designed to enhance the user experience by helping shoppers:
- discover unique locally owned shops and restaurants
- search for whatever your heart desires — burgers, shoes, tools and beyond
- read helpful reviews and recommendations
- look for local events, concerts and festivals
- uncover local hot spots and hidden gems while traveling
- find and support local businesses that strengthen communities
“Our goal is for small businesses to come out on top after the holiday shopping season,” said Bill Brunelle, co-founder of Independent We Stand. “To do that, we make consumer access to small businesses convenient and easy through this app. That way, shoppers can support their favorite businesses and, in turn, their communities, not just on Small Business Saturday, but year-round.”
App users can also show their love for favorite small businesses on social networks by tagging Independent We Stand and using #ShopSmall to encourage friends and family to participate. Shoppers and business owners can easily get social with Independent We Stand on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Independent We Stand is a nationwide movement of independent small business owners whose mission is to inspire other small business owners to better understand and celebrate their locally owned status while educating consumers about the importance and strong economic benefits of supporting them. The Independent We Stand movement is sponsored by Stihl Inc. Associate sponsors include PPG Pittsburgh Paints and Do it Best Corp.